Catholic Men’s Fellowship of California is a ministry for today’s Catholic man. It helps to establish new parish men’s faith groups, and it serves existing men’s groups. CMF sponsors conferences, retreats, leadership days and other events throughout the state that are especially for men. It provides resources and assistance to parish men’s groups. CMF is not a fraternal, service or a social organization; it is a lay apostolate responding to the call for a new evangelization to enrich each Catholic man in his journey of faith.
The ministry was founded in 1991. In 1997 Cardinal Archbishop Roger Mahony officially recognized CMF as a lay faith ministry to men for the ecclesial Province of Los Angeles, which covers central and southern California. In 2004 CMF expanded into northern California. Today Catholic Men’s Fellowship is an all volunteer, non-profit religious organization that actively serves and supports parish men’s faith groups throughout the state. It works to meet the needs of Catholic men:
- Catholic men are being challenged like never before – financial problems, relationship problems, alcohol and drug abuse, pornography. Our faith cannot be lived in isolation. We all need our brothers to help point each other home. “As iron sharpens iron, so man sharpens his fellow man”, Proverbs 27:17.
- We are men under spiritual construction and thus we are all “spiritual works in progress”. This means no man is spiritually complete! So by gathering in faith, we help one another move forward on the spiritual path.
- Men need a safe space where they can openly discuss spiritual matters and have dialogue with like-minded men. CMF creates an ideal environment where men can gather to discuss their faith and salvation through Christ.
- God gave each of us free will. By our human nature, men want to be in total control! The simple truth is that we as Christian men must surrender ourselves to Christ if His will for us is to work in our daily lives. CMF assists in reminding us of this spiritual nugget: “daily surrendering”.
- CMF encourages men to become more Christ-like influences in their families, friendships, parishes, communities; to become daily followers of Christ.
- In a world of negotiable values, confused identities, distorted priorities, false hopes and empty promises, CMF encourages and supports men to strive to be the best men that they can possibly be.
- In essence, CMF helps men get connected with other men who seek to know, love and serve the Lord. We seek, as part of a fellowship, to discern and be formed in our faith so that we can live out God’s calling in our lives and our lay vocations.
- Catholic Men’s Fellowship: “Helping to Change Men’s Lives for the Glory of God through Faith, Fellowship and Formation.”